Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Rainbow T-Rex

I got this wooden puzzle assembly toy t-rex some time ago. I instantly knew what I wanted to do whit it. Even though I had the idea it took me a long time before I sat down and did it. I wanted to paint it in the colours of the rainbow. I was just torn on how. Do I take out all the bits and paint them one by one? How should the colours line up, since some pieces are big and go together whit several others.



In the end I sort of winged the colours and settled on painting the pieces before taking them out. I thought this would be simplest and fastest. Before I started panting I used colored pencils on the sheet to mark witch color each pieces should have.


I used acrylic paint to paint the pieces. A good tip is to not use much water, if any. If they swell to much they will be harder to get out later on. Also use minimum amount of paint since the pieces still need to be able to fit together. Then just paint one side and let it dry. After you can just flip it and paint the other. When both sides are completely dry gently push out the pieces.

The legs looks a bit like flamingo legs, love it!

Then its assembly time! Just follow the instructions from the paper when you put it together. The drawback of painting them before taking them out is that the edges get a bit uneven and the paint can chip away on the edges when you are pushing them out. It is more visible on the darker colored bits the brighter and lighter bits look fine. Though overall I am pleased, and I looks just the way I thought it would!

In its natural habitat (where I will be standing). Rawr!
Debating whit myself if I should paint it whit a varnish or not. I only have glossy and thinking I want it to still be mat. It could be good to do it when it's assembled though, then it would help to keep the pieces together.

No comments:

Post a Comment